View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
'Sleeping Planet,' by William R. Burkett Jr.

Sleeping Planet is a long-out-of-print and mostly-forgotten gem that I originally found at a garage sale in the mid-1970's. I was sure that I was going to have to slice up my physical copy in order to scan it for my Reader. Imagine my utter shock and surprise when I discovered that it can now be purchased for download!

If you've still got a kid inside you who loves "Man against the universe" Space Opera, then this is the book for you. Best of all: it's the WHOLE story. No multi-volume series "saga" stuff for skiffy fans of the 60's.

The current publisher's blurb reads:
Quote:
The Llralan plan for the conquest of Earth was simple, non-violent--and utterly ruthless. Every human on Earth fell simultaneously into a drugged sleep, leaving the planet undefended against the Llralan invaders. When the drug wore off, the conquest would be a fait accompli, and the humans would have no choice but to accept their fate. A handful of people, though, proved to have a natural immunity to the drug. Stranded without resources on a sleeping world, they must somehow find a way to awaken the sleepers and repel the invaders--before it's too late.
Review 1
Review 2

This is absolutely the case that proves the point that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I almost didn't buy it because of the tentacled robots highlighed on the cover of the 1967 edition, and the artwork for the electronic version is even worse (a spilled cup of coffee is the representative image for two men fighting against an entire alien species? Please!)

Give it a try. I think you'll enjoy it. If you're still not sure you want to make the investment, just keep this title on your list of things to look for at used book stores. You should be able to pick up that tentacled-robot copy for under a buck.

Buy at Fictionwise.com
Buy at Electricstory.com

Last edited by curtw; 09-19-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: corrected link to review
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote