View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think they need some work before thinking about publishing them here.
Before posting them, I'll tweak them as best I can using ePubFixer and tweak_epub, but these conversions en masse using calibre can break some formatting, like centering in ADE rendered epubs and extra white space between paragraphs. To fix this usually needs a "tweak" to the css generated by calibre. Hopefully, all that is needed is "tweaks" to make it look like the original formatting.

I may even relocate the last page inline TOC to the beginning of the ebook just after the cover page.

Quote:
The TOC is a bit wierd with inconsistent places to jump.
calibre is adding those links but is also breaking up the chapters to best comply with the ADE 300k file size limit, so I think that's what you're noticing. Hopefully, a "tweak" will suffice.

Quote:
Poetry is poorly formatted. There are missing characters showing up in ADE. However they are good starting points for Sigil I think.
Converting the work of others using calibre is sometimes daunting due to those aforementioned little issues that creep up in the finished product. For quick fixes, instead of using Sigil, I prefer to use external tools like ePubFixer and tweak_epub and/or winrar with a good text editor.

Sigil introduces it's own quirks which may be fine when using it to also clean up the heading structure, add footnote back links, correct/replace spurious characters, etc. It may be more useful on any "Round Two" improvements...

Quote:
Unfortunately it looks like they might need some proofreading but maybe a quick scan will search up some search and replace tricks.
Hopefully, the conversion using calibre will not be the source of these, but you know what they say about GIGO (Garbage in Garbage Out).

Quote:
Were they converted from Mobi or LRF?
These epub conversions were made from the .mobi ebooks posted above by crich70 using batch files and the ebook-convert command line program from calibre. Using ebook-convert, I can automatically remove the duplicate cover image, don't make calibre add it's own cover page, allow calibre to add it's chapter detected links to the external epub TOC, override the METADATA to match the edited filenames, ...

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-15-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typos
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote