View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #35
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Here's a different "doesn't save changes" example that, IMO, is a rather serious bug.

For whatever reason, calibre doesn't like to save the first book I edit in a session. Calibre spins its wheels for several seconds, then says there's some problem overwriting the original file, so the save fails. If I ask Windows, it reports that the book is locked by a calibre process. While that's annoying, it's not the bug in question.

Normally, when a book saves, it does so instantly. OTOH, if I try to close calibre while it's saving, it (quite properly) pops up a box saying, in effect, "Hey, I'm saving here! Want me to close when I'm done instead of right now?" That sounds like a good idea, so I sometimes forget and say yes.

The problem is, if there's a problem saving the book, calibre still closes - with no error message, no hint that the save failed, and no way to recover the work.

Any chance that behavior could be modified? Perhaps even offer a config option to save with a modified filename if overwriting the original file fails? ("Hey, I couldn't overwrite book.epub, so I saved it as book-1.epub instead.")
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote