View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #66
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

I also bought it (physically) today. Sleek device that will come in handy in certain long-distance-travel situations (not very frequent for me).

The feature I like most is the ability to log in to my regular SugarSync account via Kobo Mini's web browser, and download EPUB books directly to Kobo Mini that way, using WiFi. No need to use the USB cable or a different computer to load free books (such that aren't available in Kobo's catalogue). Although Kobo's help file/FAQ do not seem to mention this great, Kobo-site-independent WiFi download option.

What I like least: very inefficient use of the (tiny) screen real estate. There's a HUGE and EMPTY margin at the bottom of the screen at all times as you're reading through a book. Sometimes it gets even higher and emptier than usual, for no reason at all (even when the EPUB is correctly formatted and there is no chapter or section break). I think that on a tiny 5-inch screen, it's imperative to allow users to effectively use all of the screen's real estate. I love how Kobo Mini allows you to reduce page margins on the left and right side all the way down to zero, but they should allow the same thing for top and bottom margins, too.

(By the way, I find the Kobo app on iPad unusable especially because of the ridiculously wide & empty left, right, top & bottom margins it enforces on iPad users. There are very few customization options in the Kobo app on iPad. The software on Kobo Mini is clearly superior over that in the Kobo app for iPad, and it offers lots of delightful customization options -- one of the main reasons why I purchased Kobo Mini.)

Bottom line: I can't imagine using Kobo Mini as my primary reading device (for me, that's Marvin on iPad), but as an e-ink reader, I like it a lot. And, the software available on Kobo Mini is a lot more customizable and versatile than Kindle software; plus, I prefer the EPUB format over MOBI. It's true the font on newest-generation Kindle devices is sharper than on Kobo Mini, but after deciding between Kindle and Kobo, I opted for Kobo Mini due to the smaller form factor (it fits into my regular jacket breast pocket!), and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Last edited by Faterson; 05-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote