View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just a clarification: The implementation usually happens in the renderer, not in the format
Yep. That's what I meant. AFAIK ePub has a CSS setting to tell the renderer to hyphenate or not. The hyphenation algorithm is implemented at some level in the renderer.

The fact that ­ is correctly rendered can be used as a workaround; for Amazon it would't be that hard to implement a simple solution: when parsing HTML (and I guess there's an XHTML parser somewhere) the ­ could be inserted in the right position (with language guessed from the book). The user could then decide to turn this feature on or off (exactly as we do with latest firmware for embedded fonts).

Maybe it's not a great implementation but I think that a page with hypens is more pleasant to read than one without, expecially when using enlarging the font.

Last edited by pirl8; 06-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote