View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Adding to Steve's comments, young people (of all ages) see little wrong with taking an ebook since they can also get the hardcover book free from the library. Around here the libraries also loan out Cd's, DVDs, and a host of other things. This sets up the paradox that it is OK to read the book for free from the library but it is not OK to read the free electronic file.
You are blaming LIBRARIES for contributing to piracy? You are joking right? Part of the way libraries prevent piracy is they have limited numbers of books, cd's, tapes, video's, whatever. Only a few (at most) people can checkout the copies. And it can take a week or more before some items are available. So that would encourage the concept of patience, waiting your turn, and the value of having something to read or listen to or watch.

I have more observations but do not want to derail the thread. But in essence it seems to revolve around our society having become an adversarial one. There is little regard or value placed on personal ethics, a true work ethic or, heck, even manners.

The are a multitude of reasons for what we as a society have become but it would seem a significant contributor was an idea presented earlier. And suggestion how the very people who generate income for the all-might AmeriCorps and EuroCorps are treated like chattel. Beat any being and eventually it is willing to do anything to survive which leads to the thug/bully mentality so very many people have seems today. Since we no longer place any value on education here in the US there are so very many who feel learning should be adversarial and not a joyful journey...they take pride in their very ignorance. This when combined with this in-your-face thug mindset leads to a need to show they are all too-tough to care" and willing to flaunt any rule/law/regulation.

And to be honest, the elimination of sports programs has been a factor also...sports always taught kids how to compete but much more important there was a sense of fair play and sportsmanship. The saying win or lose, it's how you play the game that matters no longer exists. It is win or begone with you as you are obviously defective and need culling.

Oops...see I got off on a mini-rant...sorry...and not to pick on ya rwood it was just the comment about libraries contribute to piracy just flat floored me...that is flat, well, wrong.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote