View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #73
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Well, I made the switch to Energy Sistem. I found that, in using the RK Batch Tool, you don't have to go through the process of holding the refresh button, etc. Plug your T62+ into your computer and start the Batch Tool. The box that has the number 1 in it should turn pink. You then click "switch", and the tool does the rebooting for you. Then, the box turns green and you can flash the image. I learned that from making my way through the Energy Sistem pdf that's in Spanish. It simplifies the process.

I'll use the Energy Sistem ROM for a while and see what I think. The Energy Sistem folks removed the option to hide the status bar, which was unhelpful. My first impression was that there was no performance improvement, but as I used the device, things do seem to be slightly smoother and snappier than before. As for battery life during sleep, I left it in sleep mode last night at 99% battery. This morning, it was at 84%. I'll see how it does over a few days.

The firmware already has Play Store and Gmail, as others have noted, and that is a help. Rooting was easy with Root Master. There aren't any "odd" system apps in the app drawer, like the strange Chinese ones on the Boyue firmware. The default eReader app options are the same, but my books seem to be more responsive when I adjust margins or line spacing compared with the Boyue version. The backlight is slightly less intense at the lowest levels, but still too bright for me. I still need Brightness Control.

For me, the jury's still out on whether or not I can say that the firmware switch is worth it. I'll wait to see if I find any improvement in battery life, especially during sleep. There needs to be an option to hide the status bar. Some apps can do that for us, though. I did back up my previous firmware, so I can go back if I wish.

Edit: Just solved the status bar problem. Download and install the full!screen app (free, requires root). It hides the status bar and leaves small icons on the lower corners so you can bring it back when you want.

Last edited by downeaster59; 05-16-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: New info
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote