View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I tend to write in a succinct, sometimes staccato style too.

Judging by your original comment though, I think you might be suffering from World Builder's Disease. You have more fun writing the outline and the background than the story itself.

Try to shift gears and write in reverse for once. Start with your ending and then work your way backwards.

I always had issues with endings, sometimes I feared they weren't good enough, sometimes I just couldn't bring myself to write them, sometimes I rewrite them twelve times.

The most important part about the story is by the end of the book, it answers the questions posed at the front of the book.

The other suggestion I'd give you is to tone down your outlines. I use index cards on Scrivener, and as big as my index card is, that's as big as my scene description is allowed to be. And all scenes must serve some purpose in furthering the plot or the character's motivations. If it doesn't it needs to go to the cutting room floor.

While it's nice to have an encyclopedia at your fingertips, sometimes knowing too much damns your story into the perpetual graveyard.

Good luck!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote