View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 AM   #124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
That's how I formatted the Max Brand short story collection I did, and the Achmed Abdullah one as well; for each story I have a separate title page with the title of the story and when and where it was published. Is that a bad practice or just something that happens to tickle this bug? I could redo it and move the title stuff into the chapter/story text.

Also, what do you mean by "the ToC is hooped"?
IMNSHO, it's not a bad practice for your books as you do have more content on the page than just the chapter number. Much like one recent book I read where the chapter number was followed by one or two epigraphs, there are good reasons for placing that content on a separate page. Perhaps a hidden header in the story to generate a ToC entry without having it display while reading the epub (the indentation makes this easier to view).

However, I really don't like wasting a page to display "Chapter 1" and I consider an ebook that does this as being poorly designed. Much like the cases where the chapter number is preceded by a half screen of white space, it really adds nothing but wasted space.

In my testing, the issue is triggered when you are in a text file that does not have a TOC entry. For a file that had a ToC entry, bringing up the ToC display would show the ToC entry for that file checked while moving to the file with the chapter text and which does not have a ToC entry would show the first entry in the ToC checked. For my test epub, this would be Title Page which is the first entry in the ToC.

Hooped was perhaps a poor word choice. Screwed, trued and blued? Layout created by a intern late on a Friday afternoon? Possibly after happy hour?

And yes, how this is handled is a bug on Kobo's side. The behaviour described for a text file without a ToC entry is spelled out quite clearly in the GitHub entry.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote