Thread: UK ebook prices
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
UK ebook prices

As a new owner of a Sony Reader Pocket Edition keen to add some books to my device I'm struck by the absurdity of e-book prices in the UK.

For example a book like "The Hand That First Held Mine" by Maggie O'Farell costs £11.04 in EPUB format from WhSmith which is exactly the same price as the hardback version, and yet there are no printing costs and the DRM means I can't loan it or sell it on.

Contrast this with say Waterstones who charge £9.09 for the book, but don't offer an ebook version and of course our good friend Amazon charging £8.48.

Never fear I thought pop across to Books On Board where I can pay in dollars, no such luck 'no format available for this title in your country'

I already have friends who think that ebooks are a great idea until they find out they cost more at which point they generally swear and lose interest!

I have no issues with paying for what I consume, and no issues with DRM, but for f's sake make it worth my while to be honest!
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote