Thread: Help me Decide
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Well, an update. I still want one, so I'm going to buy one.

There's 3 possibilities.

1) I order a Cybook
2) I wait for Sony to bring out the 505 in the UK
3) I order a 505 off eBay or have someone bring one back from the states

The easiest would be if I got a Cybook, so I'm back to where I was at the start. I can't decide between the two of them.

At the moment I prefer the Sony because (I think) it's better looking, and because I think future development/accessories etc would be better on that. Also in the US it comes with a 2 year warranty, so hopefully in the UK it would be the same, or at absolute worst I could take it back to the US and send it back to be replaced.

The main two accessories I like for the Sony are being able to use a PSP charger to charge it - charging it at home is no issue since I'm at a PC, but if I'm travelling then that's not always possible. And the big one is the light, I like to read in bed, so I'd need lighting, Sony's solution of a little light that attaches to it seems about as good as it could get.

However in the Cybook camp there's a couple of new positives. I now understand that at least part of the problem with "poor support" is emails not getting there because of spam filters, that's better than emails being ignored. The other thing is the (expensive, but I can understand why) case that Cybook sell seems to be durable, and looks like I wouldn't need to go aftermarket to find something. It covers 2 eyesores. The Bookeen logo, and the Cybook logo. That might seem a little petty, but my otherwise perfect Cowon X5L's "Colour screen" written down the side of the screen annoys me. Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the Cybook in it's case. Also, I'd like to know more about charging it without paying for their charger. Could I just buy a tip from Gomadic - I know they don't make any specifically for it, but surely it's a "standard" fitting?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote