Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
But now I'm just going to follow afv011 advice to go through a few cycles to see if it improves all the while following RAH's formula for charging, along with turning the unit off after it is fully charged to 100%
When your Touch is brand new, as yours is, I think you should follow afv011's advice and go thru a few cycles without using my top-it-off idea. You need to let it settle down some and see if it will work OK.

So just charge it to 100% and let it drain however it will. When it reaches say 30%, charge it again to 100% and let it drain. Do that a few times. Hopefully you won't have to resort to using my idea. In other words, don't assume it's going to be bad.

(The problem with this idea is that new Touches often work fine on their very first charge. Both of mine did not exhibit the rapid drain problem till I recharged them. I think I know why. When you first get it home from the store, the very first thing they have you do is to charge it. What this really amounts to is "topping it off" because they usually have about 75 or 80% charge when you first get it. So when you do that initial chargeing, you are really using my top-it-off scheme, which makes even a Nook with the drain problem function OK. Then, a month later, after it has reached 30% and you recharge it, only then do you find out you have a bad one. I don't know of any way around this.)

If it is bad after going thru several of these cycles - i.e. it drains like 10% over night - then you have a decision to make - use my scheme and continue to use it - it works! - or return it and get yet another, or get some other brand.

I like the Touch well enough that I am willing to put up with this small problem, because I have a work-around that seems very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
One last question, when should I recharge again does 70 % sound reasonable or should I let it go down further to 50-60%?
I think most people don't recharge till they get below about 30%. One of the reasons to get a Touch is because of the long battery life. If you charge it at 70% over and over, you aren't taking advantage of that feature!

One other thing - the battery charge indicator seems pretty inaccurate. For example, when I do my top-off operation back to 100%, sometimes it will then stay at 100% for 3 or 4 days (while in use and sleeping over night)! Then it will start dropping slowly, down a few percent per day. So, part of the problem is the charge indicator, I think. But you are at its mercy - when you get low enough, it will start to complain and you'll have to recharge it, even if you really have a lot of charge left. So you have to play these games with it. Kind of odd.

Last edited by RAH; 12-19-2011 at 08:13 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote