View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
No, I don't know of any vulnerabilities in Calibre at all, but it's just common safety to me.
It's good to be safe, but you'd be even safer if you didn't run your computer at all. That will guarantee you'd not get any viruses or be hacked.

I want 24/7 access to my books and I'm not going to let a theoretical concern about a threat I've never heard of stop me from getting a practical benefit I use every day. I've never heard of anyone getting hacked via the Calibre server. I'd recommend people make backups, use a less common port, use a decent password, and if they're really hyper-worried about security, use an https secure reverse proxy.

You are probably at least as vulnerable just running a common router as you are running Calibre's content server. If you don't turn off your router the minute you stop using it for fear that someone will hack you, I see no reason to turn off your content server.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote