View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think that my problem with assuming Clair pushed her is that Clare has been so passive about the whole thing on the outside, it's a large leap to "I'll kill her and that will solve everything" especially when she hasn't done anything else to help herself that would have been less dangerous both physically (what if Clare had caught her hand or dress?) and socially (danger of being seen doing something)? She was so concerned about her own security, status, and her kids that I don't think she would have taken that risk. It seemed like she would rather have Brian sleeping with Clare than risk her own position.
But Irene doesn't plan it, any more than she planned to smash the cup. It was a split-second of overwhelming anger--irresistible impulse, a moment of insanity. She didn't think of consequences until after the fact. Why else did she cower upstairs when everyone else ran down? Why else did she keep thinking of her hand on Clare's arm? Why else did she seem to flirt with the idea of blaming Jack and then reject it?

Quote:
An anonymous message to Mr. Bellow that pushes him to do something drastic would make more sense, but she didn't do that. From his own words, "he hates [negroes]", and the tirade he had in their hotel when Irene first met him makes is seem like he would not be rational if he found out the truth about Clare. In the party setting at the end he was bad enough, what would he have done if he found out in private and there wasn't anyone around to see what he did to Clare?

Irene seemed competent enough to fight for Brian and fend of Clare if all Mr. Bellow did was kick Clare out. Why risk going to jail and (possibly worse) the complete loss of face that she would risk by pushing Clare?
But Irene didn't want Jack to know the truth because he would have freed Clare from the marriage. I don't think there's any indication that Jack would have physically hurt or killed Clare--he didn't show any tendency to physical violence; he just blustered and spewed hate. I think Irene was perfectly justified in thinking that the result of Jack's knowing would have been to throw Clare out, nothing more. Certainly not to kill her.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote