View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Londoner
Londoner began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Total newbie, please help!

Hey there,

So, being a total newbie to the eBook thing, I could use some advice/info from an experienced Sony user.
I've read through the threads as much as time has allowed and can't find an exact answer to my questions, but apologies if I'm going over old ground.

Basically, the Sony 505 has just come out in Waterstones. I read a lot on the tube/lunch breaks/at home, and would like the convenience of an ebook reader and also the cost saving against buying actual physical books.
I went into Waterstones and saw it on display, had a play around with it and absolutely love the device. But, I have no idea about formats etc and the information I can find from Sony and the press releases is a tad confusing.

What I would like to know, is a little about the formats and their use with the device itself.
I live in the UK (which I dare say you guessed from the username!) and would like to know for example, if it's possible for me to buy ebooks from www.ebooks.com and put them on the reader. I've read somewhere that there is an issue with US format PDF files :s

What I'm basically looking for is the ability to buy the reader, and slowly let the thing pay for itself with the cost difference between ebooks and the physical variety.
Could someone please advise me, if I were to go out and buy a 505 today, the best/cheapest/most compatible way of getting legible ebooks to come out on the screen? Is it possible to buy the UK reader and pay US prices for the ebooks?
I ask this because having waited for Waterstones to actually put their much anticipated ebook store online, they have done so today and the discount for ebooks seems a tad...pathetic. Less in fact than the reduction they offer for going in to the store and buying a new hardback!

Sorry if I'm asking the questions of a simpleton, but I'm an avid reader and effectively crap with technology!

Thanks muchly!
Londoner is offline   Reply With Quote