View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #85
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I think I was misunderstood...

I was merely referring to the monopolistic Kindle Only format deals they make with publishers. Do the publishers not realize that exclusive ebooks in only ONE format will greatly reduce the number of ebooks sold/read?

This is what I do not understand. The books i want are only on the Kindle currently, and I have to wait months for them to come out in a format that my reader will use.

I see nothing at all wrong with, say, Amazon making a deal to be the only eTailer of the book, but at least have the decency to sell the books in multiple formats to greater increase your , NOT just in the sacred Kindle format alone

This is my gripe.
I think the kindle format is the 'safest' or 'most DRM'-ed format out there. It's hard (perhaps impossible) to share ebooks, unlike most other ebook readers.
Many publishers know that,and therefor think it may be a good thing to them.

Also, Amazon is fulltime busy converting books to ebook formats.
Sony too. But Sony has less resources, and it takes longer for them to get all books ready.
They should set up some kind of 'request book' poll, or something, to have an idea which ones to convert first.

Last thing I heard, Amazon will sell their books in kindle format only. They see any other ebook reader device out there as a competition for their product.
It would only be normal for them to try any marketing strategy to have a monopoly in the market.
They would not be able to do that in Europe, but in USA that is still allowed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote