View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I said I buy ebooks for full functionality. Not functionality on a single device. As I pointed out, there's not much of an advantage to an ebook that can only be read on the the Kindle over a paper book. I can search it but that's about the only thing different that I can do. What I like most about ebooks is being able to open them on my computer. I like copying and pasting excerpts and quotes. I like format shifting for various devices and programs. I have no interest in buying an ebook multiple times. I refuse to do it. If you buy content once, you should own it for life. That's really what I meant. A couple people above pointed out limitations on the Kindle itself, which I wasn't even aware of. That makes me even happier about returning the book.
Although you cannot open the Topaz book on your computer, you *can* copy and paste from them. Use the "highlight" function to select the text you'd like to copy. Then, download the "My Clippings" file from the Kindle to your PC. You'll find the highlighted text in that file ready for you to copy/paste into another document. Here's a piece I highlighted to show a problem with the OCR conversion for a Topaz book:
Quote:
A Fountain Filled With Blood (A Rev. Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery) (Julia Spencer-Fleming)
- Highlight Loc. 813-14 | Added on Friday, June 20, 2008, 06:47 PM

"I know some of you think we're doomed to be
exposed to PCBs because we're near Hudson Falls,"
Mrs. Van A]- styne said through her megaphone. "I
know some of you think the jobs that'll come out of
the new spa are worth a few extra chemicals in the
That was supposed to be "Mrs. Van Alstyne"
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote