View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Rescue Pack for Paperwhite and Touch

If you're looking for the Rescue Pack for the Kindle Paperwhite (and Touch), you can start reading HERE.

The first posts in this thread are just kept for historical reference

ORIGINAL THREAD TITLE: "Any solutions for a brick-proof Paperwhite?"

ORIGINAL POST:
Spoiler:

Now that I have my PW, I'm slightly afraid to start messing around with it.

I did install the jailbreak and usb networking, and am currently making backups of everything.

If I understand correctly, there is still a diags partition, which could be accessed using "idme -d --bootmode diags" from main. Three questions concerning that:

1. Is it possible to easily get out of diags, and reboot into main? (On the KT, there was some workaround required in some situations, in order to be able to reboot into main).

2. Did anybody already "SSH-enable" their diags partition? If so, could you please post some relevant information? (instructions, or a script, or a binary image... anything is fine). I just want to avoid to reinvent the wheel, in case someone invented it before.

3. Any easy way to trigger "diags" mode? The ENABLE_DIAGS file logic (which was there on the K5) is gone in the PW, but I guess that it is a *very* good idea to put it back. This would allow for debricking in cases where the main partition still tries to boot, and usb storage is available -- which should account for some 90% of "normal" bricks. Did anybody already do something on that front? (I dimly remember geekmaster talking about it, but I'm not sure what the current status is)

If anybody already did something concerning the above 3 topics, your input is greatly appreciated.

Other than that, there is of course THE grand question remaining: How to get the Paperwhite into USB downloader mode? I'm convinced that it must be possible somehow. I've tried various methods of rebooting it, but none have succeeded - still, there must be some way.

Off-Topic:
Spoiler:

yeah, so far, the PW looks quite nice. I don't see any of the display problems that others have been ranting about (except of a bit of uneven lighting at the bottom, but that was expected). I dislike the annoying "recommendations" (which are, in fact, just ads) on the home screen, but the first thing I did was to disable the Kindle Store in the parental control settings, and switched to list mode - I personally don't understand all the fuzz about cover views anyway, it just distracts me and makes things more difficult. The thing that is really annoying is the "setup wizard", which can't be aborted (it seems), and essentially requires you to register the Kindle with Amazon before being able to use it. And I miss the "Home" button

Last edited by ixtab; 12-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote