View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #241
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post

So, the questions:

1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
2) Highlighting text is so horrible and painful?
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?
Hi Ragnor,

1) Yes. Correction: no. See next two posts.
2) Not really. You can tap-and-hold a word for a second and then start dragging your finger to select all the words you want selected. Once you've done that, the menu automatically opens to give you highlighting or annotations options etc. If you tap-and-hold longer without dragging, the dictionary will popup to show you the definition of the word.
3) The only current problematic bug in the newest firmware (2.1.4) is one that only affects you if you are reading content from a micro SD card. I'm not sure on the specifics, I think if you're reading a book from the SD card and put the reader to sleep, and then wake it up again the device will be unresponsive and restart. Having said that, the Kobo team has narrowed down the problem and a fix has been made which is currently being tested. JackAstor is keeping us up to date on that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2862&page=5#71 So there will be a fix for that soon, and you won't even encounter the bug if you hold off from using an SD card for now.
3b) Indeed, the Kobo Customer Care is not always exactly very helpful. Now and again you do come across a really good customer care employee, but more often they only know solutions to simple things. Luckily, there's lots and lots of people here that can help with a lot of things. And when you're really in trouble the higher ups from Kobo are also extremely helpful.

I'd like to add that the Kobo is very useful in its international functionality. For me, that really sets it aside from the other devices. Dictionaries in all sorts of languages are available, for instance.

I would recommend a Kobo Glo over a Kindle PW, but I'm biassed

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-12-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Correction. Thought I read somewhere that 1 was possible. Apparently read wrong. Just tested PDF selection: none available.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote