View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bather View Post
I have written my book and want to publish as an eBook. (i)What readers should I adapt it to? (ii)How do I adapt to those readers? (iii)Can PDF be downloaded by any reader? (iv)I recently read something about resizing for certain readers in this forum. (v)What exactly goes on the first page of an eBook? (vi)Is it the title/author's name? (vii)Or is it a copy write number and barcode? (viii)How do you get the barcode in the book? (ix)Are there supposed to be pages left blank? As if reading a physical book, the chapter page is always on the right. I am a writer, like some, or most of you. I know nothing about eBooks. Or how to format them. Please help!
[Question numbers added]

(i) ePub and Kindle
(ii) Use Sigil to create an ePub version and either upload that to Amazon for conversion to Kindle, or use Calibre, or use KindleGen to generate the Kindle version.
(iii) Don't bother with PDF
(iv) ePub and Kindle formats are automatically resized for whatever decive they're read on.
(v) Whatever you want. Title and Author in a Title Page is usual, although for Kindle ebooks it's also usual to add a link that causes the book to automatically open at the start of the first part of the actual story text.
(vi) Yes, although you can, of course, do whatever you like.
(vii) Barcode? Don't add barcodes to ebooks, there's no point. You can assign an ISBN to your ebooks if you wish. Unnecessary for Kindle ebooks, sometimes useful for ePubs.
(viii) You don't. Barcodes are only for objects that might get scanned by a bardcode scanner. This doesn't apply to ebooks.
(ix) No.

I suggest you download (free) Kindle software and Adobe Digital editions for your computer, and download some (free) ebooks, to see what they're like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote