View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #89
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i may have spoken too soon. i just downloaded Hybrid (free from amazon) and it displayed an amazon icon on my pc, instead of the cover, but when i added it to calibre, calibre displayed a cover. so i sent the azw file to my kindle and there appeared a graphical cover also. maybe something got broken when the fix for mobireader got put in place?
Thank you alan for testing and giving proper feedback. My finding, however, is that I can see the cover thumbnail of the book "Hybrid" that I just bought (for $0.00) from Amazon.com for testing. I tested it on Windows XP, Windows 7 32 bit, and Windows 7 64 bit, and all three environments gave the same results. It works for me.

So, the bug should be dependent on something that is different between my PCs and yours. I want to know what is it.

Well, I think I have never told this, but recent versions of MobiHandler have a detailed debug trace feature built in, although it is turned off by default. I think the debug trace is helpful to know what's happening. Can you perform the following steps? (I'm sorry they are slightly complicated, but following the steps is important.)
  1. Create an empty Windows folder in your convenient place. You can give it any name, but I refer to it as "New Folder".
  2. Copy the .azw file of "Hybrid" to the "New Folder" alone.
  3. Close the "New Folder".
  4. Open the folder that MobiHandler is installed. It should be "C:\Program Files\Alissa\MobiHandler\" in most environments. If you are using 64 bit OS, it should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alissa\MobiHandler". The folder may be on a driver other than "C:" under some rare circumstances.
  5. There should be a file of name "debug.reg". (The ".reg" part may not be shown.) Double click on it. It may ask you whether you really want to import registry settings. Please answer "OK".
  6. Restart your PC.
  7. Open the "New Folder" immediately after the restart (before opening any other folder that contains other .azw/.mobi/.prc files.)
  8. Change your view to thumbnails if it is not.
  9. Click on the file for "Hybrid". (Don't double click on it, though.)
  10. Close the "New Folder".
  11. Open "C:\Program Files\Alissa\MobiHandler" again, and double click on "Undebug.reg".
  12. Restart your PC again.
  13. Now, open your "Pictures" folder. It is in "My Document" folder in Windows XP, or in "Document" folder in Windows 7. You can also access to it through the task area by clicking on "Pictures" under "Library".
  14. There should be a file of name "mobihandlerlog.txt". Open it by double clicking.
  15. Copy and paste the content to a reply in this thread.

The log file should contain tens of lines containing cryptic info. You need to be a programmer and to read the MobiHandler source code to understand what they mean, but I promise there are no privacy or credit card info. Relax.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote