View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Ohdearohdearohdear... I've been spewing out loads books with 16 shades of gray PNG images lately. But I've never noticed anything untoward in the images, neither on PC sony Reader or PRS-T1. I use imagemagick (convert in.jpg -colorspace gray -colors 16 out.png), and then use pngcrush, but without specifying bit depth. Maybe that's what prevented the problem.
What program are you also using to initially create/edit the images? I don't believe it would matter when feeding through imagemagick (since I believe imagemagick unpacks, then repacks the entire PNG), but it might have some effect. Always a good idea to post the image workflow you use as well (thank you for posting the exact imagemagick commands you use).

Attach a few examples, I wouldn't mind testing these on my Nook and see how they display. Also, if you could test the EPUBs from this topic on your device and let us know if you are having the same sorts of problems (or if they are displaying perfectly fine).

It also could also just be that my Nook is running an ancient version of ADE and/or a bug in the specific device firmware. More tests on more devices are always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
To be on the safe side, I'll use Tex2002ans' suggestion and use 17 shades from now on...
Well it was just a guess as a way to solve the 2-bit or 4-bit display bug. It will of course need more testing.

Or you could always just continue with the 16 color images, and know that your EPUB should work for compliant/future readers with PROPER minimal filesize.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote