View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You know very well that the black and white spheres in e-ink are suspended in a liquid and that the reason the screen doesn't change unless power is applied is because the display is bi-stable. The recommendation to freeze is to literally put it in a freezer (after wrapping it in something dry).
Unlike water, the liquid in the capsules or cups does not expand enthusiastically as the temperature drops so the chances of rupturing a capsule are pretty low. However, the viscosity of the liquid does increase which makes it almost impossible to change the display at lower temperatures. The last datasheet I looked at gave -25°C as the low storage temperature which is bit colder than most people's freezers unless you happen to be storing Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine. I did chill one ereader to 1°C and the display was extremely slow to change.

And yes, I do know that eInk screens are bistable. OTOH, I have seem quite a few posts from people who seem to think their screen is frozen since it doesn't change despite the battery being dead and/or removed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote