View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #32
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No, the eInk display is simply the display. Think of it like the monitor on your computer: what it will do depends upon the display controller it is attached to.

The cost of eInk displays is pure semi-conductor electronics.

Semi-conductor manufacturing is a classic capital intensive business. There are huge up front costs to build the factory that makes the devices which must be amortized, and an allocated share of those costs is part of the price of each unit made. The more you make, the wider you can spread the cost, and the cheaper each unit can be. They will get cheaper as more are made, and the overhead can be amortized across a larger base of units.
Thank you for making my point for me so elgantly. You are right. It must be all about the electronics. So if they are making a simpler, lower-res display (not e-book quality), then they can probably get away with using less fancier electronics, thus the electronics being cheaper.

Of course, the 2nd half of your statement is simple economics and has nothing to do with electronics or semiconductors. Once the production volume goes up, the price will go down.

One day, I won't think about my monitor being an E Ink display. It will be.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote