View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #158
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
It makes a great Internet appliance, though. I hardly touch my laptop since I got this.
Not for many. Not without Flash.

That's why I don't have one.

On the other hand, I've been playing with the iPads of various friends quite a bit lately, and slowly realized that in my case, a tablet may be a fairly useless device:

*I am next to a large screen computer both at home and at the office. Even if it had Flash capabilities (as the upcoming Androids will), I'd rather browse the web on a larger screen. Or type emails with a real keyboard.

*When I am out, I carry my smart phone (until recently a 3.5" iPhone 3Gs, now a 4" Super AMOLED Galaxy S). I can look up something on the web in a pinch (and it does Flash), or can check email. And it is much more portable than the iPad.

*When I travel, I always do so with a Mac Book Pro. Which I like better for email and the web, and I can work on it as well. Plus, the 10h battery life is not even enough for many overseas flights, while the Kindle can last a whole vacation without recharge.

*I can read on the iPad, but really prefer to read on e-ink. I would have considered a tablet for magazines, but the iPad's screen is too small for regular-sized PDFs, so it offers no benefit here either.

Finally, I do notice that for most of my friends, the iPad slowly becomes a less used device. They all seem to be going back to doing more on their smart phones or computers. I guess this is why I got to play with their iPads so much...
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote