View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #96
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I am strongly of opinion that an author had far better not read any reviews of his books: the unfavourable ones are almost certain to make him cross, and the favourable ones conceited; and neither of these results is desirable.

-- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson), Sylvie and Bruno Concluded 1889

I can't say that I actually agree with this - how else is an author, especially a just starting self-published author, going to assess their success as a writer (the ability to say what they intended to say) than by reading reviews? But I still find it an interesting comment. The trick, I would suggest, is to be able to read reviews without becoming cross or conceited. One hopes to learn from them: "yes, I got that right" or "no, everyone has missed what I was trying to say", or perhaps "okay, so some people got it, but many didn't, so maybe I can do better next time."

Anyway, Carroll goes on to admit that criticism of his work still reached him "from private sources". So if you can't avoid them, surely it's better to face them directly.
I would say it is ok to read the reviews, but please sit on your hands so as not to respond to the negative reviews. It can make the author look like a ________. Fill in with words of your choice from female dog to where fecal matter comes out of.
It is a big turn off to see an author call the reviewer names or tell the reviewer they are wrong and don't know what they are talking about.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote