View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
The problem is, that AA is not a modifier key, it has its meaning alone.
I don't think there are any unoccupied modifier keys left.
True, however, there certainly are ways to make non-modifier keys behave as modifier keys (for instance, kiterm hack does this - although it is true that the code is rather complex). So for instance Shift+Space would switch to a mode when Aa act as a modifier and another Shift+Space returns back to usual functionality. Of course, how difficult to implement would that be is another question.

Quote:
I think that the problem could be addressed by adding special option to the keyboard.txt file (say "auto_switch_back = true").
Once this option is activated, physkeyb would switch the keyboard layout back to the original one after typing single letter.
Yes, that might be useful too.

Another possibility which can be used with the current hack as it is:
Disabling the mapping of lowercase characters (removing them from the txt file) and remapping capitals to special lowercase characters (with diacritics etc). That way, one can type the special lowercase characters by Shift+character in the new layout mode while he has to switch back to the original layout when capital letters are needed. Special capital characters may be still typed through Alt+Sym (using the previous localization hack of Sir Alex). Not ideal but I find it useful.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote