View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Both Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden could be seen as qualifying for the poseur list.
There I disagree. I can't find the article now, but I remember something about Steinbeck being the author on the required reading list that is actually enjoyable. They used funnier terms, but that was the point.

Quote:
I always thought that adolescence/high school were the years to read all those long classics. I’ve surprised myself in recent years by going back to Victorian novels with enormous enjoyment. Maybe it’s my second childhood!
I couldn't get into David Copperfield, but I really enjoyed String of Pearls, the book that became Sweeney Todd. I've looked for other penny dreadfuls to try.

I also really enjoyed George Eliot's Silas Marner and have been meaning to try other books of hers.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote