View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
You haven't used Koreader to read pdfs. So, you cannot comment on the pdf reading experience. You can comment that you think it looks better.
I've see PDF with KOReader in a video. So I was able to see how it works. Is that not good enough?

[quote]I have used both the Kindle and Koreader to read pdfs, so I can comment on the pdf reading experience. I found them roughly equal. I read pdf in landscape view, and the Kindle automatically removes the margins. I read challenging books, and so I appreciate using the Oxford English dictionary, which is installed by default. Which is the default dictionary installed on Koreader? None. You have to find and install one. Can you search through your library? It appears not. Can you create collections in Koreader? It appears not. You can browse by folder structure, which is great, but it means if you want the same book in two collections, you have to have two copies of it.

Some people prefer directory organization and some prefer collections. As for the dictionary, there Kindle wins over KOReader. I find the default English dictionary for Kobo to be OK. There is hardly any word I look for that's not found. But I expect Kindle is probably much better for foreign (not English) dictionaries.

As for searching the library, I've never had a need to search in eBooks other then the one I have open. What is it you are looking for in your library? I've never had a failure to add an eBook to the database, but I have read of Kindle eBooks being stuck indexing.

Quote:
If you are happy to switch fully to Koreader, then Kobos offer adequate pdf experience, perhaps slighly superior to the Kindle. However, I am not happy to switch fully to Koreader.
If I had a need to read PDF on my H2O, I would install KOReader and use it only for PDF. I have no need to switch to KOReader full time as I'm good with the ePub reading experience.

Quote:
If you do not want to switch fully to Koreader and abandon the native software (Nickel), you have to dual-boot between them. Having to switch between operating systems to browse your library is laughably clunky and inconvenient. For those who prefer the smoother UI and superior library management of the native operating systems, dual booting between Koreader and Nickel is not a serious suggestion. There is simply no need to install an unofficial, limited operating system, vastly complicating your browsing experience just to provide an adequate pdf reading experience, when Kindles can do it right out of the box.
Nickel is not the OS. Linux is the OS. You are just switching the running software. Some who have a jailbroken Kindle install KOReader to read ePub. Is that not clunky?

Quote:
Bottom line: If you read lots of pdf and you prefer to stick with the native operating system/user interface, like I do, then Kindle is the better option.
Yes, Kindle may natively be better at PDF, but then I don't read PDF on eInk and a lot of people wold not recommend reading PDF on a small eInk screen. 7" is still too small.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2020 at 03:08 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote