Thread: Literary Viral April 2020
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #44
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Whew, I'm making it in the nick of time. I know what you mean, Bookworm_Girl. I rarely dislike any of the previews that we nominate, and often don't especially have any obvious favourites. But I do still have three votes to dole out, so I'll give them to three of the ones I wanted to sample first and haven't voted for yet:

1 to Fever
1 to The Andromeda Strain
1 to The Plague Dogs

This was another great month for nominations and I really liked the cohesiveness of the subject matter throughout whilst still having such varied choices.

I've never read The Andromeda Strain or seen the film. It's funny because when you were first mentioning it, I was confusing it with the film The Medusa Touch which I saw when very young, and which scarred me forever, because
Spoiler:
the scene near the end with the powerfully telekinetic evil man in hospital all bandaged up but still barely alive somehow so the disaster event wasn't successfully stopped, and his next target was a nuclear power station to basically destroy the world. That was the film that made me worried of a nuclear holocaust of the world growing up, so thanks a lot for that I say to the film!
Anyway I realised my confusion when I got the title ready for the nominations list, lol.

The Plague Dogs I know of and looks interesting, being a book by the author of Watership Down, which I've never read all the way through though again I saw the film when very young.

A Journal sounds quite interesting, and the only other DeFoe I read I loved (the obvious Robinson Crusoe), but that could be in large part to its subject matter so it'd be interesting to see how another book of his stacks up.

Fever looks interesting and especially pertinent to our current situation since there's the idea of so many asymptomatic carriers of C19 walking around out there.

I'd be happy to read Ghost Map as well, an historical fiction about London and its cholera outbreak of 1854. One noticeable thing about the author, Steven Johnson, is that he has a possibly unfortunate name by coincidence and I'm sure he's aware of that. When googling his name, almost all results were for a dangerous disease called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. It's severely flu-like, usually requiring hospitalisation, so oddly and coincidentally relevant to our current pandemic as well.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote