View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #70
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Dove instead of dived makes this American's ears bleed.

Going back to the DD/MM v. MM/DD issue upthread, that's another where Americans retained the older usage while Britain switched to the more "logical" one. However, I think the Times (London) uses the archaic form.

A question with that in mind: Here in the US, 9/11 is shorthand for the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. I assume the ROW knows what we mean. But what kind of shorthand is employed elsewhere, assuming one is? Do others say 11/9? 9/11, following US form? Or something else entirely?
It took me about two years after the attack to take "9/11" on board. I was always reading it as "the ninth of November". That's still what 9/11 means to me in any other context, but now it's simply a code, like a foreign name, such as "the Concertgebouw".
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote