View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
avshadler
avshadler began at the beginning.

Device: Personal Reader
Moverio optics and the "virtual swing"

Many years ago, I was told by Edwin Land , [the founder of Polaroid] -- who at the time had the largest number of patents of any living person in the world -- that "Good ideas are rejected for good reasons and for bad reasons.-- mostly for bad reasons Don't get your hopes up."

One of the participants in this thread sent me an email [to avshadler@yahoo.com] -- requesting my one-pager on the Personal Reader -- and then sent me another email with more questions.

The following is adopted from my response to those questions.

Have you tried the "virtual swing" effect? I found that it works when I turn my head from side to side at a rate of one cycle per 2 or 3 seconds. It is probably very variable from person to person. If you try it with the Moverio, I'm not sure how it would work -- because you should have the majority of the field of view "real world" -- the lower and temporal thirds of the visual filed should be real world . With a page image seen thru the glasses -- probably, in the case of the Moverio dark print on a bright white background in an inside room with ordinary lighting -- no sun coming thru the windows. , no lamps visible through the page image. It would be better if the image of the page /text was not see through at all -- for this effect. Maybe there is a way to attach a small square piece of black paper to the outside of the glasses where the image is transmitted to the eye -- so that you see a clear bright page image against the real world -- but not see-through.

If you have 20 or so friends who would like to try the glasses, you can do a study to see how they like reading with them in general and then see if they experience anything unusual -- positive or negative-- in connection with the "virtual swing" effect. Don't tell them that you expect something positive . Ask them to move their heads in various ways and have them rate the sensation: fantastic!, very positive, positive, neutral, negative, very negative, makes me feel sick! --and see what you get . If you do a good study , you can publish it. If you are connected with a school/university , get a science teacher/professor involved -- so you can do the study in the best possible way. You can also just see how the users respond to reading a page or so on the system.

Moverio is not made for reading -- but the OLED micro-displays that it uses should be able to provide high quality imaging-- depending on the optics in the rest of the system. [The full color pixels are only one minute of arc as seen through the Moverio optics.] If the optics are well designed -- for reading -- the actual experience a person gets may depend on exactly where their eyes are located with respect to the system optics.-- so be sure to measure the distance between the pupils of those who try it . It may be if the distance between the pupils is much bigger or smaller than the average , the image quality may not be so good. It will also matter how far the glasses are from your eyes -- so measure that too -- and see -- when you are using them-- how distance from your eyes effects the image quality. You can use a camera to help make measurements and you can make a video of people using the glass to read -- including any spontaneous comments they may make. You can also use a resolution test chart to see how the image quality varies across the page image etc.

The Personal Reader is a lot easier in some respects to make than the Moverio system -- because it does not involve "see through" optics. Also, the image is not seen against a bright sky -- as when you would use the Moverio with a drone camera . The result is that the brightness and quality of the image for reading can be very high and the energy requirements can be made very low. You can read in the dark without disturbing others -- even in a sleeping bag at night-- where there is no room to hold a book or e-reader far enough from your face.. You can be "off the grid " and recharge the system with a small solar cell. You can read with both hands free -- to eat your breakfast , look at instructions and work with your hands , etc. It's also great for older people who need much brighter light for the same quality of reading experience.

I'd be glad to hear more of what you've experienced with the Moverio!

A. S. Adler
Personal Reader Project
Jerusalem
avshadler is offline   Reply With Quote