View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Shouldn't this be relatively easily implemented when one just queues the appropriate job to be activated once a device is connected (and its book list read)? The only issue I see would be carrying that job list over across a restart of Calibre, I don't know if that's possible or done already.
Some problems to overcome:

1) the job queues are not persistent. Changing this wouldn't be easy.

2) which device? How do I name it, as it isn't connected?

3) what if I have multiple of the same device (I actually do)? How do I distinguish them?

4) the 'send to device' button would need to be enabled even if a device is not connected. This creates a host of internal problems.

5) what about delete from device? It seems that deletes also should be queued.

My guess is that to do this correctly (thereby avoiding lots of bug reports and further enhancement requests), we would need to build a shadow of each device on the local disk. Calibre would operate on that shadow. When the device is connected, the shadow would be copied to the device. Getting this process right would not be easy at all, especially if 'things' happen to the device that calibre doesn't know about.

In the end, a column + search method like marie44 and I already use would almost certainly be more reliable. I admit that it has one or two more steps, but this isn't a high price to pay for something that works.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote