View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #59
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When a person dislikes a book, it does not show a lack of intelligence. There may be other mitigating factors involved, such as lack of critical thinking skills. For example, when I was teaching English Literature I [One] at Miami University, I told my students that it's ok to like or to not like a piece of writing, but you must examine why or what it is that makes you think this way. It's not enough [I would tell them] to say "I hate this" or "I like that." They were to explain the reasoning behind the expression.

This thread is not biased, but rather subjective in the opinions that one expresses on his or her dislike for a particular author or book. Any dialogue that examines why we like/dislike a work is a useful tool for discussion and critical thinking. Keneth Burke, a language theorist and rhetorician, talks about Terministic Screens and how these barriers that we all have - including me - can often result in misunderstandings and sometimes a closing-down of dialogue at a crucial point when dialogue is most necessary for a better understanding of issues. [I must add that Terminisitc Screens also refers to how societal and class distinctions, in addition to education, all play a part in how we percieve and then (re)translate another person's information into the realm of our own understanding.]

Sometimes, as I mentioned, we close our minds too soon to other opinions. When this happens, we may be unable to understand why an individual responds to a particular book the way he or she does.

Your tone is one of anger - as you admit - but I'm at a loss to understand fully where your anger comes from. I do understand your "discomfort" when someone makes a summary judgement while NOT having read the book in question, especially if it's an author you admire. This is irritating; however, you might ask that person WHY he or she has that opinion, thus opening up a discussion. At the very least, you're able to explain to this person why you like the author's work.

Also, I must disagree with you that a successful author's opinion on another writer's work is somehow a barometer for what is "good" in our society - whether that successful author be a bestselling author or even a hugely popular author.

It is with respect to your opinions that I have structured my response to you. I feel it's ok to disagree on issues, Lobolover, but to engage in critical thinking on WHY people disagree is really the important issue of this thread.

Also, we're having fun here!!

Don
its more that when someone drags something aclaimed by people who make a LIVING writing Horror,and a wery good living at that,in the mud,someone whose personal achievements in said field are not exactly world-shatering,then I say:HUH?

montsnmags -that was a few word description of a sacrifice scene,starting a ritual in Robert E. Howard's "The Black Stone".The wording there was better,but I wouldn't wanna look it up just now.

Patricia-yes.

Problem is,said person probably doesn't WAN'T to adapt to a mind frame of one of the most well-read authors of his time,the author of the first summary of literary horror in modern times,etc.Whatever,I don't want to argue,but saying that its the worst cause of the "writing down theese events" way of narration-which is about as absurd as the omnipresent,
omniscient,bodiless,impassible narrator of a great number of fiction,then-why?

but lets stop the bickering.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote