View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Here's the method I use for ordering the sequence of books in a series. By the way, I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS. LuvMyBrats on the kindleboards provided this answer.

You have 4 books you want to put into a collection in order so you don't have to constantly look up which book is next.

In Calibre, Edit the Metadata button and change the date the book was published. The first book in the series should have the most recent date. I also add numbers to the title. It looks like this.

Book A (#1) - Aug 2010 (make this your starting date) - oldest book
Book B (#2) - July 2010
Book C (#3) - June 2010
Book D (#4) - May 2010 (last book in the series ends up the earliest date)

When you add these books to your collection, they will line up in the correct order #1-#4

You don't have to add the numbers to the title. Personal choice, I like to see them with the numbers.

Also I don't change the publishing date until AFTER I have downloaded the metadata because if you change publishing dates before, when you download the metadata it will put the correct publishing date and you have done a lot of work for nothing.

A little work involved but at the end of the day I have a series in order and I automatically know which book comes next. Given that most of what I read is series, this method has become invaluable to me because all of my collections with the exception of History and Single Novels are ALL serial books.

Good luck and perhaps someone will have a shorter method. It really doesn't take that long once you get use to it.

Last edited by chilady1; 09-01-2010 at 03:25 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote