Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I agree with Logseman on the large format Pocketbook 901 when it comes out. Pocketbook has a reputation for the most feature-rich PDF viewer. I am sure that also found its way into the 901. No Wifi on the 901 or cellular connection. It does have a slot for an SD card. There might be other Pocketbook models in that line that will add WiFi and cellular connectivity for a higher fee. In the US, the price is expected to be $325 - $350. If you don't mind LCD, the iPad is the best reader for PDFs I have tried. If you can't wait and must get a device now and don't want LCD, the Kindle DXG is your best shot. There are many posts here about PDF support on the Kindle DXG. In a nutshell, it is decent but not great.

Next year there will probably be a few more e-readers with a large display suitable for PDFs.

All the PDFs I read don't display well on a 6" display therefore I don't recommend a 6" reader for PDFs (especially if you are going to be reading technical PDFs).

Your choices right now are the iPad or the Kindle DXG. The iPad supports everything you want but has an LCD display if that is a problem for you. The Kindle DXG does not support CHM but it is eInk and probably the best eInk option right now for PDFs.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote