View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #466
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
In my opinion the video review is fair as kepub is Kobos preffered ebook format and should also be considered as best optimized of customized for Kobos devices. Why else would they create their own proprietary format? To tie users/generate traffic to the Kobo eco-system, ofcourse. Kobos business is to sell (more) books and there's nothing wrong with that.
Of course there is something wrong with that.

As you can't compare the look of printed books with the look of digital books you should not compare different formats of digital books with each other - not if at least one of the readers allows you to use another format.

Quote:
The video clearly shows the shortcomings of the kepub format:
  • very wide header and footers
  • empty text line after every paragraph
  • additional margins to left and right which can not be tweaked to zero
You preference does not mean that it's a "shortcoming".

I like the header and footer and I like the blank line after every paragraph and I would hate having no border at all. Not saying everyone has to prefer the same, but to say it's a general "shortcoming" is wrong.

Also not all KePubs, as I have said before, have blank lines between paragraphs.

Quote:
With the introduction of fw 2.5.2 the top header is also introduced in regular epubs, so it doesn't make the comparison unfair.
Still is, especially if you claim that the blank lines after each paragraph add to "wasting of space" and it is something that has to do with the format of the book, not the reader itself.

Quote:
In a direct comparison there will be - almost with absolute certainty - less text on a Kobo screen, and when the kepub format is used the layout will look messier. While the layout on the non Kobo devices look pretty much the same as they'll follow the original layout of the publisher (even when font sizes, line heights etc. can be changed; e.g. Cybook Odyssey HD)
You may find it messier, I find it more comfortable to read. You make it sound like your preference was the only possible preference out there - which it's not.

Also the Kobo follows the original layout of the publisher (in ePubs at least). That's why you only get the blank line if the book is formatted that way. And that's why it's unfair to make it seem like you will always have blank lines after paragraphs which Kobo devices - it's not true.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote