Thread: New Leaf Themes Redux
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Better together: co-written

(I am open to refinements/improvements if you think this has problems.)
Our first official suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
In the other thread, Victoria suggested It Takes Two/Partners--that could include both co-written books and books that feature duos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, I think those two seem very similar, and also I wonder if the co-written part of the suggested theme is not being too prescriptive?
I tend to agree with both of these. I'd like to see these two themes conflated if people are willing; I also think co-written is a little too prescriptive and could be punchier anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I rather like "Tasty Morsels, short and/or sweet". Could cover everything from Kitchen Confidential to The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen, to The Omnivore's Dilemma. (All of which I've read and highly recommend, btw.) And that's only dealing with the first part of the theme!
You've gone off Calvin Trillin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Can we be flexible about the phrasing of the theme? That is, do they necessarily have to have two parts to them (like a cryptic crossword puzzle clue)?

As an example, I was thinking of what to me is a great book title, The View in Winter - a non-fiction book by Ronald Blythe, of elderly people talking about their lives. So a phrase like that could refer to old age, or of course to a story with a winter setting. I don't think a phrase like that needs anything added to it.
I loved Akenfield and didn't know this, so I shall have to look into it.

As for the two-part themes, my own preference would be to keep them. I think it's something of our signature; I'd rather have a certain redundancy if necessary than give it up, as with our current "children" theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The two (or more) authors concept is very broad.

Consider.

At one end you could have Will and Ariel Durant's history of civilization.

At the other end, you could have one of the Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle collaborations.
Nothing wrong with that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote