View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
I went through the whole procedure of removing Calibre and cleaning.

- I removed existing Calibre (through Programs and Features)
- I ran CCleaner
- I cleaned the Registry (with CCleaner)
- I restarted my laptop
- I downloaded Calibre again (for Windows 10, 64 bit)

When I attempted to install Calibre again and I obtained the message :

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management\calibre 64bit - E-book Management.lnk. "

I have never seen this message before aand I don't know what it means, so I stopped the installation.

- I manually removed all traces of Calbre (Registry, folders)
- I ran a quick anti-virus scan

I downloaded Calibre again rom the same page (https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64), attempted to install it and got the same error message ("The installer has insufficient privileges ...). Cancelled the installation.

Downloaded Calibre again, but this time from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows (so, I presume, it's 32 but?).
This version installed and loaded the Calibre Library without any problems.

I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you,
ML
The messages says you do not have Admin (and UAC approval) to install programs.
W10 added a extra level of security in a recent update and blocks any program that has not obtained 'approval' (which is not free ).

Instead of clicking exit (or whatever it really says), there is a (sneaky) 'advanced' link on the Left at the same level. That is where you can whitelist Calibre.

Hint: there is afairly recent MR post somewhere that has the images of the screen that I can't quickly put a link to.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote