View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
FWIW:

I have found, in my cover-artist travels (which are fairly extensive) that Cover artists have the WORST websites in existence, even worse than most author websites. It never ceases to AMAZE me, but it seems to be fact. Dunno why. Maybe the right-brainers rebel at the idea of keeping a website orderly. ;-)
Yeah, I've coded plenty of author websites and mine always looked awesome. But yeah, in general you're right. Most have horrible websites. The most painful experiences for me as a site developer was encountering the "toast" experience when it came to authors. If you don't understand the reference, go here and be amazed...or scared, one of the two. hahaha -> http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Quote:
Moreover--and this part really boggles me--almost inevitably, their portfolio layouts and backgrounds are equally horrible. How someone who can make fab covers can have a crappy portfolio, appearance-wise, eludes me, but it also seems to be prevalent.

Hitch
Dude, you figure that out, let me know. haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I went to his website and it does look nice. As I read, though, I saw many typos and other errors. When I tried to report it, two of the three means of contact that I found returned errors. I think the third one worked, but in case it didn't, maybe you could pass this on. I believe you when you say he does good work, but a lack of attention to detail on his own site undermines that.

rjb
That's my fault. He doesn't understand programming and does have issues with typos (He's like me, the fat finger king), so I normally do his programming and site proofreading for him. However, lately I just haven't had the time to help him out so he's been kinda flopping around blind like a fish out of water and it shows in his site. But I'll try and get those solved as soon as I have a free moment. ^_^;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Don Semora ... Wow! I opened the website to have those eyes looking out at me and just Wow! In fact, Wow!!!

I'm not saying that I fell equally in love with all the covers in the portfolio, a bit busy for my tastes, but the artwork is superb. And, perhaps more than anything else, of all the places I've been, there is a style and originality to the work that has been so difficult to find in my searching so far.

Whatever I end up doing, thank you for sharing.
Thank you. I know he'll appreciate hearing that.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 09-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote