View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
How does this relate to the fact that Kobo stubbornly does not connect to a hidden SSID?
Perhaps you should re-read the articles that any Google search will bring up for the use of hidden SSIDs? Please note the common use of false sense of security and variants there on.

See a Wikipedia article here: Network cloaking

and a oldie from ZDnet here: The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
There is no harm from the hidden SSID, except when can't connect devices with crooked drivers.
Totally incorrect. A hidden SSID is useless for security and, even worse, gives many a false sense that they have done something to secure their network. Given that many devices broadcast the SSID while attempting to connect to a network, it isn't even that well hidden. Unhide the SSID, use WPA2 and a strong password if you are looking for security. A hidden SSID is lipstick on a pig.

In my testing a few years back, it took less that 20 seconds to obtain multiple hidden SSIDs by sniffing packets (Linux running on a IBM Thinkpad and a Pringles can antenna).

On the other hand, I have connected my Kobo ereaders to hidden networks on a couple of occasions. This did require deleting all known networks before adding the hidden network. A lot of work for little return.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-08-2019 at 10:41 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote