View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Well, I am very embarrassed because given this book's apparent respected reputation I did not like it at all and I kept drifting off to other reads until abandoning it around halfway through. I read a lot of non-fiction, including travel and memoirs and, for me, this book just didn't make the cut.

The seed of the trouble I had was there was plenty of experiences and other detail to make a very interesting well presented travel/memoir book but I found that it was ruined by prose that I found lumpy to read with poor meter, sentences chopped up with multiple semi-colons, detail jumbled, etc. It seemed to get some legs after the first quarter of the book, but not sufficient to keep me away from, for me, better written books.

His non-serial scene changes in time I thought were handled quite abruptly rather than woven in a way that other authors have done.

I have read, some time ago now, Our Man in Havana and A Quiet American, both of which I recall I liked, so it maybe Greene's non-fiction style that troubles me. Journey was also, as far as I know, his first non-fiction book and produced quite early in his career, perhaps his later travel books I would find more comfortable. But I haven't checked.

AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote