View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Lucas Malor: At the very least in terms of thumbnails processing, yes. And since Nickel has to actually open the source file to process the thumbnail, that's a hit for fmon/kfmon.

Note that this is the behavior I noted on current FW versions (i.e., it does that on demand: library thumbnails are generated for the current page you're browsing in the Library, and the "last book opened" tile is generated when it has to be shown, the first time you close a new book). Nickel might have been doing some more aggressive stuff before, which might have triggered more bizarre behavior.
Or not. (After all, a number of people have been using fmon without encountering significant issues).

In any case, not treating those spurious hits as actual user-triggered opens is saner and safer.
As is not launching something that will potentially kill Nickel while Nickel has a hold on the DB, since we have no real way of knowing if Kobo bothered to fully gracefully handle SIGTERMs, since that should allegedly never happen on a vanilla production device.

And as the sickel fiasco showed, they work in mysterious ways...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2016 at 09:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote