View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #315
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Did anyone else have problems concentrating when first reading audiobooks? I felt dizzy this afternoon (am typing with eyes closed) so listened to a few chapters of the Wodehouse book and found it hard to follow the story when I'm not actually looking at the text. This is inspite of the wonderful Librivox reader. Is this common?
I listen to audiobooks partly for the purpose of losing focus--at bedtime

With audio I do stick to 'easy,' not terribly thought provoking books, mostly fantasy that I maybe wouldn't bother reading at all in text form. Some of the more subtle books I've tried in audio, like a couple Haruki Murakami novels, were a bit harder to follow and required an effort of concentration. Even the easy stuff requires pretty regular backtracking, if I fall asleep or just get distracted. With me at least, letting the mind wander is a big part of reading novels, so I keep the pause button handy on audiobooks and if I'm not keeping up with the story I'll just stop, let my mind romp in the clover for a bit, and start the story again (backtracking if necessary) when I'm more settled.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote