View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
[QUOTE]That's ridiculous, though. The reason for libraries to exist is to provide copies of works available to everyone. Due to the physical nature of books, though, only one person can have a book at a time - so they need to return it!

But in the modern world, everyone can have a copy of the book at the same time. There's no physical object to worry about, so the goal of the library is even easier to meet: they can provide copes of works to everyone, all the time![\QUOTE]

Hmm, that would only be true, if the authors are giving away their work for free. Nobody would ever buy a book again. I dont think thats very realistic what you say.

On the other hand, while books can be lend like physical books (payed for like now) you can keep the same system working. You can even get the advantage of receiving your book without leaving your home.

Quote:
Changing the way bits work in order to try to hold on to the physical limitations we've faced in the past is incredibly backwards.
Not really. Unless you are willing to pay the authors for their work.

Quote:
If we invented Star Trek-style replicators, allowing us to create food for everyone on the planet instantly, why would we work really hard to reintroduce food shortages? If we invented teleportation, allowing us to instantly travel anywhere in the world, why would we put in delays so that it still takes days to travel across a continent?
Have you ever thought, of what resources you need to do those things? Energy would be a major factor here. If you dont have that, you get shortages and delays. Who is paying for all that in the Star Trek Universe? Ever thought about that?

Quote:
We are in a point of history that has been dreamed about since the library of Alexandria, where all humankind can have access for free to all the worlds' information, and we're desperately trying to undo it. It's enough to make one lose faith in humanity.
Well, knowledge should be accessible to everyone, but on the other hand, we live in a capitalistic world. Nothing is for free. Everything works with profit. Nobody funds research, if there is no profit to be made. People are just not the selfless good people you want them to be.

Quote:
Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not trying to attack you or anything, or suggest that your position on libraries is "ridiculous", it was just a good jumping-off point for my rant about DRM. Sorry! ;-)
No problem. I dont like DRM either. Id rather see no DRM and reasonable prices for ebooks. I still believe people want to be honest, if the price is right.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote