View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
According to the book I'm reading right now (Fairy Tales and the Art of Subversion), the Grimm Brothers re-wrote a lot of their fairy tales to support patriarchal norms and meek, submissive females - in earlier forms of some of the fairy tales, women were stronger and more pro-active than in later versions. They also bowdlerized an awful lot of the stories, too.

This is making me way too self-conscious about messages that may creep into some of my stories, and I'm having to re-think my approach to some of the ones I'm working on. This new collection is going to be not as light-hearted as Dragons and Dreams is, I think, but the stories will be more classical fairy-tales-ish.
Were the Grimms pressured to make the change, or did they choose to, because that's that what they wanted to communicate (and if so, why did they write it any other way to begin with.)

Writers send messages. It's more or less the definition of the role.

There's only two things you need to consider regarding messages in your stories:
1. What message do you want to send.

2. How will you apply your art and craft to the message? Will you highlight it so no one can possibly miss it, or intentionally subdue it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote