View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The SD Card is the clue.

With 2.1.4, Kobo changed how they handled books on the SD Card. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12 for some details.

So, what you are seeing is expected as the covers get generated each time they are needed for books on the SD card. I'm not sure why some books aren't getting a cover at all. I don't normally use an SD card, so haven't seen this.
Thanks for the link!

As I play with it, I'm "discovering" new things about the firmware. It seems that my Kobo is having problems with reading sub folders on the SD card - not everyone's, mine. So I've had to remove my nicely catalogued ebooks and throw them willy nilly onto the card to get them to register with the reader.

After I put, say, 50 books on the reader, it only takes under a minute to process those books, but the covers don't show up. It appears to take more time, while the Kobo is sitting or being used or whatever, for it to go through and "read" the covers and add them to the memory. This can take 2 to 20 minutes as I saw last night. First there were no covers, then suddenly all the books have covers.

I will *not* give up my SD card, it's my insurance that when the Kobo bricks up, like it did yesterday, I still have my books safe. I have 3 redundant elibrary back ups, but I like it make sure what I'm currently reading is safe.

Kobo, with every new firmware update, appears to be going less and less user and sideloaded ebook friendly, and more about Kpubs and glitzy interfaces.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote