View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't date someone who didn't read. I find it creepy to be in a house without books. I don't consider reading to be a mere hobby, I consider literacy to be a core value, that a potential mate would have to share. Others are free to set different standards. There are, of course, intelligent people who do not read, but in general, I find non-readers difficult to communicate with. I'd no sooner date someone who didn't read than I would date someone who spent all their time on the couch.

Reading isn't fine wine, expensive sports cars or exotic vacations. Reading is available to anyone, at little or no cost, thus, I don't see my position as elitist. In any case, I get to select my own standards. I'm not going to harrass people for not reading, but that doesn't mean I need to be their buddies. There is plenty of sneering at readers, consider how the media represents the "bookworm". I've had people who, when they see me reading a book, think it is appropriate to inform me that "real men don't read."
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote