View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The SF world has a long history of "fix-up" novels which are really linked short stories.

The Martian Chronicles came from this

as did

City by Clifford Simak

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson is a linked collection of short stories.

As far as changing stories, I've seen many an introduction that said a author in retrospect didn't like the result of a story, but usually did not change it. I was just reading an Ursula K. LeGuin essay about how she would now re-write something she wrote in the past. She added parenthetical changes to the piece. Interesting.

I'm actually in the midst of writing a 'linked collection' - my Marville stories modeled somewhat on Winesburg, Ohio

One thing I don't generally care for is when a short story it EXPANDED to be a novel. It usually doesn't work for me, though there are exceptions. This too seems to be a tradition in the SF world.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote