View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Mobi and Geographic Restrictions

Hi All,
Prior to my first Cybook breakage earlier in the year I purchased books (not a lot, mind you, I was reading a lot of publicly available stuff) from Fictionwise with no problem and not a hint of geographic restriction, including all the Alexander McCall Smith No 1 Ladies up to that point and all the Pratchett Tiffany Aching, as well as a few random.
Having just got a shiny new Cybook back after several months (the second device wasn't working properly so I hadn't bought anything while we got to the bottom of that) I went on to buy the latest No 1 Ladies only to find that it, plus just about every other title I wanted, was either restricted to the US or Canada (where it was available from Fictionwise) or wasn't available in Mobi (where it was available from a UK based ebookstore who have mostly all done deals with other device-pimps).
(Also running into the usual problem where one title in a series is missing, sometimes the first, but we all know about that one).
Has there been some key shift in my downtime that has left UK and/or Mobi readers disadvantaged? Has anyone else noticed this? And is there a remedy (obvious or otherwise) short of buying a new reader from Waterstones that I'm missing?
All info gratefully received - I feel like I've missed something here!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote